Sunday, May 31, 2009

Going out of Business Sale

In the past couple of days, I have faced the temptation of buying t-shirts and other articles of clothing. The reason why it's such a hard decision is because it's at a discounted rate. Not just any discounted rate, such as 20% or even 35%, I'm talking about 50%-75% off with free shipping. Now I know that this consumer challenge asks that I do not buy merchandise and fight the urges of consumerism, but am I really breaking the rules? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't want to feed into the typical consumer fashion market, similar to what Kawamura stated, "We see how the impact of capitalism and consumerism have created a fashion market which relies heavily on the buyer." However, am I really buying into the capitalism and market shares of over-paid CEOs if the price of the merchandise is so low?



I thought of this question for a good couple of days and I came to the conclusion: Yes. I've rationalized the reason why to the simple understanding of why the product was made in the first place—produce as many and sell as much product to the public as possible, even with no regard of how it’s made. No matter how cheap the product is bought and consumed, if there is no understanding of how it’s made and where it’s made, it may still go against the consumer challenge and disregard the environment. Or even the way they are produced, with the idea of bad labor conditions with harsh standards. With that being in my mind, I knew that I could not purchase the clothes. Score for one for me and zero for consumerism.

I leave you with a thought from this video if ever the thought of buying clothing comes to mind.


CHRISTIAN BORGONIA BLOG #5

Works Cited:
Kawamura, Yuniya. 2005. Fashion-ology: An Introduction to Fashion Studies. New York: Berg Publishers.
http://www.gearcrave.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/karmaloop-t-shirts_07152008_msp.jpg

No comments: