Thursday, March 20, 2014

Blog 3- Diane Cabaluna



Since I felt very guilty about making so many Valentine purchases last week, I was very conscious about my choices this week and have not bought anything at all. This Be Green Challenge is more challenging than I thought because I figured that I would have no problem not purchasing things until I realized that I often buy things for others. Speaking of buying things for other, after reading the article "Abercrombie & Glitch," I have an embarrassing confession to make. I actually bought one of my former significant others one of those "its a Nguyen, Nguyen situation t-shirts," and he loved it. This was in high school and I didn't really think about it at the time. It was one of my other South East Asian friends who actually told me about this site and she purchased a "What the Heo?" Shirt from here with a picture of a pig on it because "heo" means pig. I think the difference between this is that it is an Asian owned company whereas Abercrombie and Fitch is not. This reminded me of how we spoke about how when a Westerner wears a culture's traditional clothing, it is offensive and they should not be wearing it because they have not gone through the hardships and do not deserve to wear it.


You an check out this site below and see the other shirts they have. 
http://www.anhoi.com/




 Although this is different from having Abercrombie and Fitch selling them because with their history according the the "Abercrombie & Glitch Article," they do not have the best reputation respecting other people. I don't really find it hard to believe that they didn't know that this was offensive since they do not have the greatest track record. For example, they only want a certain "look" when it comes to their employees and they do not even make any plus sized clothing because their brands only targets specific communities.

Inside source: "ABERCROMBIE & GLITCH / Asian Americans Rip Retailer for Stereotypes on T-shirts." SFGate. N.p., 18 Apr. 2002. Web. 01 Mar. 2014. 

Outside Source: http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/abercrombie-and-fitch-under-fire-for-not-making-plus-size-clothes

No comments: