Thursday, March 20, 2014

Blog 4-Diane Cabaluna

It is the last and final week of the Be Green Challenge. I will be honest and say that I have given in. A purchase was made in honor of me even though I did not buy it myself. I recently went the the Warriors game over the weekend with my family and my mom bought me a shirt at the store because I was the only one in the family who didn't have any Warrior gear on. I admit, I really did want a shirt too because I felt so out of place at the game wearing a button up and cardigan(I don't go to many basketball games okay?)



In Kawamura's article "Adoption and Consumption of Fashion," it is mentioned that consuming becomes a way to identify yourself. For example, just because I was at the Warriors game and all the fans were decked out, I felt the need to assimilate and identify with them, I felt so out of place before my mother bought me a shirt. I can definitely see how people use consumerism today to buy the new latest thing to "look cool" or even fit in.

In the article "Driving Teen's Egos," it talks about how teens today are always surrounded by advertisements and it makes them consume more than past generations. Since they are always told through internet advertisements or television commercials that they need this new phone or this new shirt to look cool, they are very vulnerable since they are still developing and find comfort in purchasing these items. The marketing strategy they use for teens today is "you are what you buy."

Inside Source: Kawamura, Yuniya. "Adoption and Consumption of Fashion." 2005. Fashion-ology: An Introduction to Fashion Studies. New York: Berg Publishers.

Outside Source: http://www.apa.org/monitor/jun04/driving.aspx

No comments: