Monday, March 10, 2014

Blog #4

Timmy Huynh

As I reflect on my final week of the Be Green challenge, I’ve learned a lot about my habits and myself. I’m learning to invest my money and time more into making memories instead of collecting materials. This challenge has really forced me to step outside my comfort sound and choose to live a more simple life. I’m becoming a conscious consumer.















Previously in class, we discussed Japanese fashion style and culture. We learned about “Kawaii,” a quality of being “cute.”  According to the Kawamura article on "Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion," many girls choose to associate themselves with cuteness merely for the sake of feeling “young” or attraction to bright colors.

This article reminded my of Lady Gaga’s visit to Japan this past November. Lady Gaga an international pop stars finds a lot of inspiration from Japanese fashion culture. Known for her ridiculous and bizarre fashion, Gaga’s costumed was Kawaii inspired. In a costume contest Gaga beat Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, a Japanese pop star in a costume contest. I’m really curious to know what the Japanese audience reaction is. It appears like the Japanese love her. What do you think of Lady Gaga’s re-interpretation of Kawaii?

Outside Source:
Ashcraft, Brian. "Lady Gaga Just Out-Cuted Japan." Kotaku. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2014. .
Inside Source: 
Kawamura, Yuniya. "Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion." (2006). Print.


No comments: