Monday, April 20, 2009

Repurposing: First New Post for Spring 2009 (sample)

Here we go again. Last year, along with my fashion class students, I participated in the "compact challenge." I learned then that I am a wasteful individual and it was a much welcome lifestyle change that followed. Since then, when I decide I need to purchase something, I first think of craigslist.org or one of the other sites that sell used items. I also stepped up garage sale shopping. These sites and venues even have FREE stuff! Re- programming my mind about consuming reminds me of a million years ago when the Internet began. I had to get into the mindset that for random inquiries, I can google instead of physically going to the library or checking the yellow pages.

Another rethinking process involves how I look at clothes. Before, if something didn't fit right or I was getting tired of it, maybe I'd sell it or give it away. These are still good practices but now I also repurpose my clothes to make new outfits. Like the more creative youth street fashion designers, I began saving clothing items with potential and plan to purchase a sewing machine to rework them into one-of-a-kind pieces (Kawamura 2006). I'm certain this plan will allow me to keep my unique style instead of following trends in a hopeless game of catch up with designs from fashion capitals (Kawamura 2005).

Let's see how my plans work out and what I learn from the compact challenge this year. -Kieu Linh Valverde

http://www.nylonmag.com/?parid=2335&section=article
craigslist.org

No comments: