Sunday, March 7, 2010

NOW I CAN BUY STUFF!



To be honest, I was a bit skeptical when I found out that ASA 189B was a fashion class. I did not think that the study of fashion would be as intricate and sometimes difficult as I have come to realize. The study of fashion is indeed multi-facted and quite complex. It transcends simple discussion over aesthetic properties and finds itself involved with economics and politics. This class has definitely shown me that fashion is not as transparent as most people think it is.
The conclusion in "Fashion-ology" provided a brief summary on the transgression of fashion. France has long been known as the center of fashion. The development of haute-courture boutiques solidified it as a fashion capital. However, the conclusion explains that this is an ever shifting idea. Although the fashion world still revolves around Paris, the process of globalization and the ever increasing popularity of street fashion have begun to take hold.
Globalization has allowed for the development of fashion institutes internationally. To cite "Fashion-ology", this began primarily with the emergence of Japanese designers. A new aesthetic took shape as the world began to accept the notion of ethnic fashion designers.
Street fashion has become omnipresent. Designers now are steering away from developing high fashion and look to street culture for inspiration. This then develops the interesting argument as to who is truly responsible for street fashion. In summation, "Fashion-ology" asserts that France has begun to lose its prominence in terms of dictating what is considered fashionable, and what is not.

The pictures above are from a blog about street fashion. Although they were taken in Paris, the fashion displayed draws its roots primarily from a working class or street aesthetic. These are to show that although Paris is still considered the center of fashion, we can see a shift towards street fashion.

As for the compact challenge, I CAN FINALLY BUY STUFF. In beginning, I was concerned with whether or not I would be able to complete this challenge. My main hobby is essentially consumption. I spend most of my time seeking deals, and seeing where to allocate my next pay check. Needless to say, almost all of my money tends to go to shoes or clothes. This challenge has really tested my limits. I can say that as hard as it was in the beginning, it really taught me things that I can carry beyond this class. Consumption is not as harmless as one would expect. The production and consumption of things does create a lot of waste. For the most part, we end up not using what we buy and throw it away anyways. This challenge has really taught me to watch my spending habits and essentially become a smarter buyer.

In the end, I am glad I was able to complete this task. It was an interesting ride. This was the first time I have ever had to do a blog for this class. I began to have fun with these as opposed to a typical class assignment. However, I can honestly say that I will not miss doing them.

Farewell Blogs!!

Chris Quach
Post# 10

Sources:

Kawamura, Yuniya. 2005. Fashion-ology: An introduction to Fashion Studies. new York: Berg Publishers. "Conclusion." Fashion-ology

Outside source:

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

Pics:

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/12010GreyBlue3829Web.jpg

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/3210GreenPuffer_1788Web.jpg

No comments: