Friday, December 5, 2014

Mark Cayabyab: Be Green Blog Posts #4

I could not wait for this week to come to an end since this assignment was assigned. I realized through this assignment that I'm pretty materialistic because it has been a real challenge for me not to purchase new clothing. The assignment actually came during a bad time because I really needed to purchase new clothes for the unpredictable Davis fall weather. For example, I had to wear an rain jacket two sizes too small for me during last week's horrible rain storm. Over these past few weeks, I have been going on Amazon, Gap, and Uniglo making shopping lists. I felt like I was about to end an strict diet and meticulously made my food list. 

I really enjoyed this week's reading focusing on Louis the XIV and the rise of saris. I already knew that London was obsessed with Indian culture apparent in their food, clothing, and films. Also, Bollywood is huge in London and this subculture is known for excess, color, and sequins. Reading the chapter reminded me of my travels to London and enjoying the only street food that I could afford and that was Indian. I like that many of the English based designers who are Indian descent pay tribute to their culture, but also try not to design an costume. For example, Ashley Isham did an whole Bollywood inspired collection in 2010 that had all of the typical features of Bollywood in the drapping, beading, and adornments. 


I was intrigued with the Japanese street fashion and youth culture after viewing the assortment of photos presented in lecture this week. Seeing that Japan's youth have the ability to express their individuality through fashion is comforting because  I believe that a society where youth does not have a voice or platform for expression will eventually fall. The street fashion in Japan is a prime example of the bottom influencing the top. For example, the harajuku street fashion and manga inspired fashion started with Japanese youth and eventually caught the attention of taste makers like Gwen Stefani and Tyra Banks. Thus, Japanese street style is the norm for people in America and in the media. 



















Sources:

“Adoption and Consumption of Fashion” from the book Fashion-ology. Chapter 6.
Bhachu, Parminder. “It’s Hip to be Asian.” Class reader.
Kawamura, Yuniya. “Japanese Teens as Producers of Street Fashion.” Class reader.

No comments: