Sunday, December 7, 2014

Panhia Vang - 4th Week!

The Go Green Challenge comes to and end today. Honestly speaking, I haven't gone Christmas shopping, yet. As horrible as it sounds, I waited for today to pass by before I start shopping for Christmas gifts; but on the bright side, four weeks went by quick and smooth. I didn't go shopping for clothing nor things I didn't need. My busy college student lifestyle contributed  a lot to a successful go green challenge. The more busier I get, the less I think about shopping, but there were times when I seriously wanted to stop and go shopping to clear my head. It's an awful stress reliever resort, I know. Beyond today, I don't think I'll be able to keep the mentality of the go green challenge, but I definitely will feel a little guilty when I splurge myself with expensive receipts.

This past week, we discussed about cultural appropriation after watching "Yellow Apparel: When Coolie Becomes Cool." In one of the parts, interviewees stated that henna were cool, but they didn't know the context of what, where, and when henna were used in South Asian cultures. Many celebrities adopted the South Asian cultural aspects to their fashion style during the 80's and it's been coming back throughout the 90's and early 2000's by artists like Selena Gomez and Beyonce.

I came across a video that discusses whether cultural appropriation through celebrities are acts of racism. As discussed in the video, some celebrities apologized to have offended some fans and people, but others denied that them wearing other culture's clothing or adopting their ways does not mean they are making fun of a particular group. Instead, these celebrities find it interesting and beautiful and thus refuses to apologize.
Are These Celebrities Being Racist?

When I see celebrities sporting other culture's fashion, I don't find it offensive unless it is being used in a particular context that, in any way, makes the specific cultural group question their sincerity. When I see other people wear Hmong clothing, I feel a sense of pride that they admire my culture and the clothing to want to wear it.

Citation:

Movie: Directors Sonya Mehta & Sheng Wang. “Yellow Apparel: When Coolie Becomes Cool.” (2000)
"Are These Celebrities Being Racist?" YouTube. YouTube, 3 July 2014. Web. 8 Dec. 2014. .

No comments: