Sunday, February 7, 2010

There are times I notice that women are starting to wear clothes similar to men's clothing. According to Mina Roces in "Women, Citizenship and the Politics of Dress in Twentieth-Century Philippines," "Women [are] 'bearers of tradition', [therefore they] wore national dress, while men wore the western suit and jacket, reflecting the gendered power relationship in the society" (Roces 8). Women in male dominant countries are subjugated into the roles that keep traditions alive, thus, including the national dress. But this hinders women from showing any power in these societies. I noticed that some of our popular clothing styles today incoporates men's suit styles, therefore, creating an image that women are "equal" to men. Men have suits, and so do women in office work places, we wear pant suits. I find the suits with skirts is not empowering enough for women to be "visible public marker of one's allegiance, identity and political colour," (Roces 8).


Roces mentioned how women in the Philippines are "'repacking' the modern woman" (Roces 8) by altering the standards of dress for woman from wearing traditional terno and panuelo to western attires such as uniforms for students. As women wear clothes that tend to resemble that of men's wear, "it makes them feel closer to their men when they wear guy's shirts," (Fibers.com). Thus, creating a change for equal status in society for women in a male dominant place.

As for the Compact Challenge, I'm spending a lot of money on food more than I usually do. I guess I'm replacing my need for buying clothes with buying food. Is this suppose to happen? I feel like I'm still in the habit of spending money. I'm starting to use the money I saved up from the start of this project. I can't wait for Chinese New Year!! Yay for red envelopes!

<3 Annie Tan
Blog #6

Works Cited:
Jessica, "Women Wearing Men's T-Shirts-Is it Okay?" 28 June 2008. Fibers.com. 7 February 2010 .

Roces, Mina. "Women, Citizenship and the Politics of Dress in Twentieth-Century Philippines." Women and Politics in Asia. 2004.

Images:
http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/2/optimized/502112_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=327&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

http://www.temeculasuitoutlet.com/tmso-1.gif

No comments: