Sunday, November 11, 2012

Consciously Aware Secret Santa



Steve Li

Blog #2

This holiday season before I buy anything I will be more aware of where things are produced. After reading "Santa's Sweatshop: In a global economy, it's hard to know who made your gift-under what conditions" by Holstein, Palmer, ur-Rehman and Ito, it gives us an insight about the dangerous conditions that many workers have to face in order to produce many of the garments and toys in major retail stores. For example, many workers in the Mattel's Barbie factory in Changan, China work with dangerous chemicals and workers make only $1.81 a day.

My friends and I have a tradition of doing Secret Santa every year. After taking this class I will be challenging them to buy gift with the working conditions and environmental impact. I have found an article with brief information about different companies that are socially and environmentally conscious. According to "The top socially conscious clothing companies" by Erica Michelle. Some of the companies that we should be buying from include American Apparel, Edun, Chandni Chowk and Juno and Jove.

My current challenge is going very well I have not brought anything that is not essential. But I do have a tendency to go into a store and see if anything is on sale in order to see if I can get a good deal. My thinking is that I will eventually buy that item anyway so why not get it when is on sale. This is something that I really want to stop because is the core of my habit of consumerism. Even though I'm getting a deal on a clothing I'm still consuming and spending money to buy that garment when in reality it was made 10 times cheaper than the amount that is currently on sale.


Inside Source:

Holstein, Palmer, Ur-Rehman and Ito. "Santa's Sweatshop: In a Global Economy, it's Hard to Know Who Made Your Gift- and Under What Conditions." Reader.

Outside Source:

Michelle, Erica. "The Top Socially Conscious Clothing Companies." Helium. Helium, 10 Nov. 2009. Web. 12 Nov. 2012. .




No comments: