Sunday, November 4, 2012

Steve's Green Challenge #1

Steve Li Blog #1





In preparation of this Green Challenge anti consumerism I began to reflect what it meant for me to be a consumer and how it has affected my life. I can remember ever since I was little I was hypnotysed by all the advertisements I saw on the streets and on T.V wanting the latest toys or the latest game. I remember an instance very vividly when the new pokemon game came out for the gameboy and my friends and I have been waiting for the release of this game for months and anticipating this day to come. This game was definitely not essential to my life in anyway, but I wanted this game badly and I was craving for it. My friends and I went together to the gaming store and every time we stepped foot in the gaming store, a sense of euphoria overwhelmed by body as I could not wait to get my hands on the latest game. It was an unexplainable high that I felt. Yet it was very short lived. After getting the game I only played it for two weeks and never touch it again after that.

As a result, I can see how our society is conditioned to be addicted consume and consume. We always have a hunger of wanting more and wanting something new. I'm very excited to challenge myself and break this habit because it will not only benefit the environment but it will also save me a lot of money in the long run.

Inside source:
Melissa A.Decker. "Knockouts of Knockoffs:' the Global Implication of Fashion Piracy.' Reader.

Outside source:

Oliver, Simone S. "INTERSECTION - On the Runway Blog - NYTimes.com."INTERSECTION - On the Runway Blog - NYTimes.com. Nytimes.com, 16 Oct. 2012. Web. 04 Nov. 2012. .

No comments: