Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hue Thao
Blog #1

As the week progress, my ASA 141 class has taken a challenge to fight against consumerism. We begin by stating that we can not buy any new products for one whole month. The only items that are exempt from this rule are food and used items. In terms of this project, I find it particularly easy for me. I am not a huge fan of shopping; most of the times, I am shopping for food or for someone else...true story. However, this month might be a different story only because it is the month of Hmong New Years! In a sense I can tie this to what we are learning in class about Hmong textiles and how they portray stories within the cloths. The only similarities is that both subjects are about the Hmong people. Perhaps, I can bring in an example of one of the Hmong cloths to show and tell in class Tuesday, and no, I did not buy the cloth. In addition, some time during the month of Hmong New Years, the Hmong people who follows Shamanism does a ritual called "noj peb caug" or "eat thirty." This ties in to our consumerism concept because after this ritual, we are unable to use money for THREE days!!! That means "no cheese, no tomato, and no lettuce, that's it."* Luckily enough, its only for three days. In the end, I say...Bring on the challenge, it should be a piece of cake! :) Here is a word from grandmother, "If you receive a little kindness, give them a large serving."

*Reference to Bon Qui Qui at King Burger

No comments: