Sunday, November 30, 2014

Kevin Lee - Blog #3

Be Green Challenge Week 3

            It is the end of week 3 of the “Be Green” challenge, and I am glad to say that I did a pretty good job this week. Since this week was Thanksgiving weekend, and Black Friday was this week, many people went to shops to buy everything they could since almost everything was on sale. However, it is safe to say that I did not give in to the pressure because I have NEVER been Black Friday shopping. Never in my life have I gone Black Friday shopping, and I do not know when I will start. However, during this past week, the term “Black Friday” got me thinking. What exactly is Black Friday? Where and when did this term come of be? Since I had these questions in my mind, I decided to research on the history of Black Friday. “Black Friday” was officially used during the 1960s in Philadelphia by the Philadelphia police when they were dealing with the traffic jams and accidents during the day after Thanksgiving. Since people were starting to do Christmas shopping, the streets of Philadelphia became crowded with people going to many retail stores, thus causing traffic accidents and jams. The police referred to this day as “Black Friday” because it was a dark day full of chaos. The term “Black Friday” stayed within Philadelphia until it finally spread nationally in the 1970s, when retailers realized that they could draw in big crowds by discounting prices, thus the start of sales throughout many stores.

Black Friday explained in 60 seconds

Looking back at this week’s readings, this research tied into the A&F lawsuit article. For Black Friday, retail companies will do anything to make sure their items sell. A&F decided to be discriminant towards non-whites because they believed that white people were the best at marketing their products. This goes to show that A&F does not think about how their marketing strategies will affect the other racial groups because all they want to do is sell their products. Black Friday contributed to this discrimination because since everything is on sale, A&F wants to be able to sell everything, thus using the best possible marketing strategy, which in turn was not the best. However, it finally took a lawsuit to make them realize that “diversity makes a good business sense.” Black Friday is a dangerous day where anything can happen or will cause certain events/problems to happen.

            As Thanksgiving comes to a close, I just want to say that I am really thankful and grateful to my family because they have been taking care of me ever since I was born, and they still are today. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for my family. As gradation draws near, I hope to be able to repay them for their kindness and support in the future through my hard work and determination with whatever I find.

Sources:
Youtube Video: “What is Black Friday? We explain all in 60 seconds
yellowworld.org. “Abercrombie and Fitch Settles $40 Million Discrimination Suit.” Reader.

No comments: