Saturday, November 29, 2014

Venice Santos Blog #3

Be Green Challenge
It is the end of Week 3 of the Be Green Challenge and unfortunately I cracked, I cracked, I cracked. I gave into retail sales and bought new clothes. What began as spoiling my little sister became an all out shopping spree between the two of us. In my failure, one huge, subtle moment got me thinking. And thinking alot. While in Champs at the Glendale Galleria, as I was walking out the store empty handed I witnessed a boy holding a new box of shoes. As he scurried to search for a seat to sit down and try on the fresh pair, I noticed not only the excitement in his eyes, but the happiness in his sister and especially his mother's eyes. I knew that certain glimmer in her eyes because I see it in the eyes of my parents and I knew exactly what she was feeling. It got me thinking about how thankful I am of my parents because whenever I see that glimmer in their eyes I know they're proud and genuinely happy. My parents work tireless hours at jobs they did not ask for but were blessed to get the opportunity to work at to be able to provide a roof over my siblings and my heads, food on the table and the occasional shopping sprees like the exchange I saw between that boy and his mother. 

After reading this week's readings, it got me thinking about just how power hungry many, if not all, retail companies are. Some owners are just plain inconsiderate and closed-minded about the diversity of people in the world. When A&F lost its lawsuit, Kimberly West-Faulcon, Director and WEstern Regional Counsel for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, said "Abercrombie now realizes diversity makes good business sense." WELL, OBVIOUSLY. Actually, not completely obvious if it took a lawsuit for Abercrombie to realize that, but nonetheless it is wrong for the company to fire or not hire people because of their cultural backgrounds or beliefs. 

As I grow older and wiser, this Thanksgiving season, I am more than thankful for the life I have that my parents continuously work hard to provide for me. I am thankful for the unconditional love and support my family and friends give me everyday that push me to become a better person everyday. As the end of the quarter nears, I am taking with me a motivation to finish strong and continue to work towards graduation so one day I'll be able to provide the same financial support and unconditional love I have received to my whole family.

Citations:
yellowworld.org. “Abercrombie and Fitch Settles $40 Million Discrimination Suit.” Reader.

Youtube Video: "Abercrombie & Fitch Loses Discrimination Suit".

No comments: