Sunday, November 23, 2014

Wendie H. Vang - Blog 2

Scam or False Advertisement?

For this week’s topic, I will be writing about Abercrombie & Fitch. It’s been over a decade since the incident with the Asian discrimination t-shirts. I have never owned an Abercrombie & Fitch merchandise nor will I ever, unless they come out with a design that shows they were wrong to assume Asian Americans would find their history amusing, that they comprehend how underprivileged minorities are, and if they actually consult Asian Americans or do a study to determine how a product will affect the consumers. Seriously, research is crucial for everything. According to the article by Strasburg, she quotes Hampton Carney saying, “We poke fun at everybody, from women to flight attendants to baggage handlers, to football coaches, to Irish Americans to snow skiers.” I can’t bring myself to agree with this statement. I feel like whenever I see any of these groups, I think there is some sexualized component or masculinity. However, I don’t see any of that in these t-shirts.

Real Facebook page
That was just some background information to my real point. About a week ago I got an invite to an A&F event for a free hoodie. I saw A&F, assuming that was Abercrombie and Fitch, I ignored it. However, I decided to check it out today and to my surprise it was a straight up scam. All of the posts were about people claiming this to be a scam. I continued reading to find out how people knew. One way was how the page only had three posts, the A&F was not the official Abercrombie and Fitch page, and all the comments accusing the page of being a scam. One of the posts shared a link to an article about how Facebook could not regulate the false advertisement and scams. A few of the posts were about how the account could be scammers, hackers, or false advertisement by the real Abercrombie and Fitch. Unfortunately, we will never know because Abercrombie and Fitch would never say they purposefully created a fake account and neither would a scammer. This kind of reminds me of how subcontractors in the commodity chain would exploit workers who complained to the company which the company claimed to have no part in the hiring. I continued to scroll down the posts and found an interesting YouTube video. The guy talked about fake likes and fake accounts. I think that everyone should read the articles and watch the video to realize how scammers, hackers, and exploiters of likes work and act.

            Charles, Craig. “First 1,000,000 Participants Will Get a FREE Facebook Hoodie Event – Facebook Group Scam.” thasnonsence.com. 21 July 2011. Web.

Strasburg, Jenny. “Abercrombie & Glitch/ Asian Americans rip retailer for stereotypes on T-shirts.” Hearst newspapers. 18 April 2002. Print.

Veritasium. “Facebook Fraud.’ Youtube. 10 February 2014. Web. 23 November 2014. < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag .

No comments: