Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pilipino Culture Night


Last weekend, I participated in Mga Kapatid’s 22nd Annual Pilipino Culture Night, also known as PCN. PCN is a beautiful celebration of the Pilipino culture through music, dancing, and acting. You can get a taste of the Pilipino culture through this yearly production, (although after doing the research for our paper, we know that the dances really only give just a taste, rather than the whole experience!). This year’s PCN paid tribute to the World War II veteranos who fought for America alongside American soldiers, but still haven’t received the full equity that they deserve. Cultural, ballroom, and modern dances were interspersed between the scenes.


I had the opportunity of being a part of acting and a Spanish-influenced dance called Paseo de Iloilo. I am proud to say that I followed the compact challenge through my costuming because I reused a dress I haven’t worn in a couple of years for my main acting scene, I borrowed pants and shoes from friends for a battle scene, and my costume for the dance consisted of a white shirt with a skirt already provided by the production itself. The skirts we used were from the previous year. The material was nice, but they fit the people from last year, so we all had to make many adjustments. This is like the trickle down theory because the higher classes got the better fit, and we had to make do with what we had (Kawamura 19).


Courtney Lorca
Blog Post #2


1. Fashion-ology: An Introduction to Fashion Studies by Yuniya Kawamura

No comments: