Sunday, May 3, 2009

30 Days: I'm a Consumer Whore

I'll be completely honest with you, I'm not too fond of "blogs," or "blogging" of any sort. I find it rather boring and unappealing, especially of blogs that involve people I really don't have any interest in. Besides, in a world as fast-paced as mine, who has the time to write down "how they feel" and see if anyone cares to read about it when I won't stop to do the same thing. Yes, I may seem a bit cynical and pessimistic, but I am speaking the truth. Since this is a requirement for this class, my job during this compact challenge will be not only be of this challenge, but to find a way to persuade you to read my posts in hopes to change my feelings towards blogging. Here we go.

"...fashion is a body technique which articulates certain aspects of the language, gestures and disciplines of the trained body in its habitus. The keynote of body techniques is that they are unremarkable. dress and body techniques are 'tailor-made' for their environment. Yet, in this process, fashion is the technique for establishing distinctiveness. (Crik 17)"

Like my peers who have written before me, there lies a paradox between the look of fashion and the compact challenge. How can one form an identity through fashion by limiting their options? Now I know that environmental issues and the knowledgeable understanding of making the clothes provide a strong argument for the compact challenge, but it is hard to formulate an image of an identity with less outlets and stores to purchase from. Nevertheless, I take on this challenge head on in hopes to create more insight in an eco-friendly lifestyle.

I'll speak to you from a strictly consumer fanatic. If the compact challenge needed a representative sample for their survey, I would be that person. I spend profusely. On food, on electronics, on supplies, on everything. But the thing is, I spend because of convenience. What I consider a necessity, I buy instantly. I don't stop to think, rationalize for a better price, and/or look for other options if the product I find fits the utility that I buy it for. I really hard concept to embrace if one wants to be thrifty and care for the environment.

The first couple of weeks following this lifestyle was very easy on me financially. Spending a lot less on what I considered a "necessity" (especially on clothes and electronics) tremendously opened up my bank account to spend on other things, particularly food. However, even with food, I found smarter ways to spend. Specifically, economically friendly and organic foods. Following organic dietary plans, the compact challenge has proved to be both beneficial to my health as well as my wallet. I will continue to follow this compact challenge throughout the coming weeks and have an open mind to the alternative possibilities it will open me up to.

Hey, I guess writing a blog isn't that bad, isn't it?


CHRISTIAN BORGONIA BLOG ENTRY #1
WORKS CITED:
Crik, Jennifer. "The Face of Fashion: Cultural Studies in Fashion". London: Routledge 1994. pg 17.
photo: http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/greenpeople070618_560.jpg

No comments: