Sunday, May 3, 2009

How Green is Green?

In this day and age, it seems that the morally touted thing to do is to be GREEN: live it, breathe it, consume it (albeit less of it, according to the green lifestyle), and I agree with it. I think I can honestly say that with respect to the compact challenge, I am doing a pretty decent job. Since I started the challenge, I have only purchased two shirts and I'm hoping that I can keep this up!

Something recently struck me about this Green Movement -- you're not supposed to consume as much, or consume more efficiently, right? However, I feel like everywhere I turn there are countless items one can purchase to be a part of this green movement, whether that includes reusable grocery tote bags, eco-friendly clothing or natural make-up. I found this site that sells more "green" items than I have ever seen before in one location. I suppose it just seems to me that this whole idea of going out and buying a lot of "green and eco-friendly things" is a bit contradictory, because while the media is telling consumers to be more environmentally conscious, companies are trying to get these same consumers to buy, buy, buy. I found one article that voiced these sentiments exactly, stating the " ironic twist, if not a fundamental contradiction, between going green and purchasing newly manufactured items."

In Fashion-ology, it is stated that "in the study of culture, it is necessary to understand not only technical processes and arrangement for manufacturing and distribution of cultural phenomena but also the culture through which the products are given meaning" (Kawamura, 2005, p.32). Likewise, the "going green" phenomenon has taken roots in our culture and been given meaning through this greater need to be friendly to the earth.

Christine Vo
Blog #2


Sources: Kawamura, Yuniya. Fashion-ology: An Introduction to Fashion Studies.
Images: http://www.ecobags.com/core/media/media.nl?id=2735&c=340019&h=a0d6f4f46c0fb8b1ca72
http://www.allthingsgreen.net/marketplace/images/traders/90/5988-collette-wrap-top-made-from-recycled-fabric-image1.jpg


No comments: