Sunday, January 10, 2010

Blog #1, Where to Really Begin?

When I first enrolled for ASA 189B, I had no idea what I’m getting into. The first day in class got me interested when we began to talk about it in class. To be honest I don’t have the biggest interest with fashion, probably because my lack of time watching television when I want to anymore. However, I do have a big interest into the context of the course and the readings especially when I was thinking deeply about the compact. The first that I was reading gave me a wider perspective in the definitions of fashion and fashion-ology in what it stands for. While it has several definitions, I do have a good idea in what the author was trying to explain.

The first reading got me thinking, but I wasn't certain where to start. Somehow I did get into the thought process about cultures. I tried to be broad with the topic and not try to limit myself with my ideas. The first thing in mind was the movies and music videos that I watched in the past. Then somehow I was thinking about symbols that are worn by individuals that display their personality. Most notably, the Superman logo was the first thing that I had in mind as it’s the most recognizable logo in popular culture. The logo has been used numerous times by numerous individuals as a symbol of strength regardless of gender. More infamously, the artist Soulja Boy has given the symbol in a more negative light in which females are suppose to be submissive to a male to where. In the light of the two readings in regards to females, in what ways can symbols stand out as a way to empower themselves without it being overlapped by males? That's where I stopped in my thought process for fashion. While I'm not completely in tune right now it has given me a building block for the future classes in this course especially for future discussions.







Andrew Legaspi
Winter 2010

Works Cited
Kawamura, Yuniya. Fashion-ology: An Introduction to Fashion Studies. New York: Berg, 2005.

Youtube
Soulja Boy Tell`em - Crank That (Soulja Boy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII

No comments: