Sunday, January 31, 2010

Is it Real or Fake?



It's amazing how knockoffs are starting to look more and more like the authentic high end goods. According to Melissa A. Decker in "'Knockouts of Knockoffs',..." "improvements in technology have taken the skill out of manufacturing to the extent that it is almost impossible to differentiate between knock-offs and genuine goods when they are right besides each other," (Decker 5). Unfortunately, that means some of us could be buying fakes since these knock-offs can easily by placed on a shelf and sold at a store, and we wouldn't even know. During the winter of 2009, my mom went back to China to visit our family, she told me how there were a lot of fake Louis Vuitton sold for 2/3 the price of a real LV purse, but the knock-off looked so real that most people thought it was authentic.

This also reminds me of how when people think of counterfeit goods, the first country that pops into their mind is China. "However, other European and Asian countries also contribute to the problem by providing the assembly grounds for the merchandise," (Decker 5). Therefore, we can't put all the blame on China and counterfeiting is a global problem. "Due to the boom and bust of the dotcoms," (Decker 6) the Internet has made it easier to sell knockoffs online and to anywhere in the world. This makes me wonder, then how are we to know what is real and what is fake?

As for the Compact Challenge, I getting tired of cooking at home because I'm constantly washing dishes. They just keep coming back! I don't know if I broke one of the rules for the challenge because I bought a new camera. Would a camera be considered art supplies?? If I did break a rule, I'm sorry. :(

<3 Annie Tan
Blog #5

Works Cited:
Decker, Melissa A. "'Knockouts of Knockoffs:' the Global Implication of Fashion Piracy." 2004.

Images:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/3/33168/41_2007/louis-vuitton-monogran-canvas-bags_0.preview.jpg

No comments: