Saturday, January 23, 2010

Race in Fashion



In the readings, I found it interesting how research shows that Asian models were less likely to be used in advertisement than western models across all cultures. This reminded me of the power dynamics that exist in racial hierarchy. This is significant because western models have always dominated the fashion industry, which is why I believe western models have become the image of universal beauty in the fashion industry.

In an article I found, models of race are beginning to fight for change. According to an African American model she said, "The way people said I was stupid...saying that fashion is just a business so they need to use models who sell things....I don't see change. It needs to be said because I think about these things and other girls do too." I found this important because the fashion industry is shaping the ways in which people think, reinforcing “what is beautiful and what sells.” As a result, I feel that change should to be done to reshape the image of beauty and fashion. Which brings me to uploading a picture of “black is beautiful,” a movement that aims to reject the notion in many world cultures that black people's natural features such as skin color, facial features and hair are inherently ugly.

Anancy Thao

Blog#3

Frith, Cheng, and Shaw. “Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women’s Magazine Advertisements.” Class Reader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_is_beautiful

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/apr/06/fashion.features