Sunday, January 31, 2010

Blog #5: Santa's Sweatshop

After reading “Santa’s Sweatshop” I thought that the tips on “How to Shop” were helpful. It’s hard to think in that kind of mindset when you are shopping. Personally, I am instantly attracted to sales and low prices. In the back of my head, I know that low prices usually mean cheap labor and possibly low quality.

I think that the United States doesn’t use their population to their advantage. We depend on the cheap labor and poor quality for the product. I think that most people my age know about sweatshops, however, we continue to support companies like Nike and other “name-brand” companies that use sweatshops for production. I work at a retail store and this woman came in one time asking what country our clothes were made in. She refused to purchase clothes that were in countries that did not have any laws against child labor.

I also “googled” the phrase “Santa’s Sweatshop” and it’s a more commonly used term than I thought. I personally think that if we want to see change, we need to think and be more cautious shoppers. It’s sad to think that brands that we know very well, respect, and appreciate also participate in shady labor services.

http://www.changetowin.org/connect/images/sweatshop-santa.jpg


http://www.changetowin.org/connect/images/sweatshop-santa.jpg

Something to reflect on…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkjOqefwmk&feature=fvsr

Holstein, William J., Brian Palmer, Shahid Ur-Rehman, and Timothy M. Ito. "Santa's Sweatshop." US News & World Report 121.24 (1996): 50+. Print.

"YouTube- Child Labour in China: Tiny Hands, Silent Voices." YouTube- Broadcast Yourself. Web. 31 Jan. 2010. .


Blog #5

-Roxanne L.

1 comment:

simplicity101 said...

should have more description, like what were the tips. more analysis. also, missing outside source. 2/3