Sunday, April 28, 2019

Green Challenge #1

So-Hyeon (Diana) Park
Green Challenge Post #1

I am well aware that my consumer patterns have to be fixed since my expenses on clothing and cosmetics are ridiculous compared to the amount of money my friends usually spend. I have this habit of buying a ton of products as soon as a new billing period starts and abstaining myself from buying necessities towards the end of the month. It's a bad cycle too as it is difficult to get out of it. Last week was the beginning of this month's billing period, and I probably spent 1/3 of my income already. I actually just realized that the Green Challenge starts from today and I panicked for a bit - thinking I should have bought more before it began. To be honest, I am scared to enter this temporary phase of the absence of guilty pleasures, yet I know that it is going to be a good cleansing time to break my consuming habit and start new.

This whole Green Challenge reminds me of our group project through which we attempt to encourage people to use recycled materials. It will be absurd if I advocate this campaign but do not practice what I say. Here is a link to the article that sparkled our project idea.

Additionally, here are some tips I found on Forbes to help us break bad spending habits - more like a note to myself. Hopefully, by the end of this quarter, I will exhibit better consumer habits and make responsible choices when purchasing goods.

Citation
Auten, John Schneider and David. “5 Steps For Breaking Bad Spending Habits.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 25 July 2018, www.forbes.com/sites/debtfreeguys/2018/07/25/5-steps-for-breaking-bad-spending-habits/#71a7c8706842.
Smith, Tammie. “Repurposed and Reused: Thrift Store Industry Flourishing.” Richmond Times-Dispatch, 29 Mar. 2019, www.richmond.com/business/local/repurposed-and-reused-thrift-store-industry-flourishing/article_8cfd96c0-6ddf-50e7-99e0-b06d27c324e1.html.

No comments: