Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1

Blog Entry #1
Lao, Reanna

The be green challenge will not be much of a challenge for me personally. Having taken environmental science courses since high school, I have always been conscious of my carbon footprint. My spending habits are usually controlled because I save for big investments such as a car or a new laptop. Before buying anything, I like to ask myself "Is this a need or a want," and if I cannot justify my answer, I most likely will give it up. When shopping for clothes twice a year, I usually only ever buy jackets and coats that I know I will wear often. I prefer to shop in store so that I can inspect the quality and check its country of origin. When it comes to clothes, I never shop online because it is a huge waste of time having to scroll down pages of catalog. One thing that was left out of "The True Cost" documentary by Andrew Morgan is the cost of transporting clothes from warehouses to online customers. Though the film was not focused on the carbon foot print of clothes, I hoped that it would have mentioned how packaging ends up in oceans. My biggest concern when it comes to this challenge is food. Though I do not eat much beef, I am guilty of buying food sourced from other countries. My goal for this challenge is to shop at only the farmers market or the Co-Op. I will also try to order less take out, or if possible, bring my own containers. 

This challenge reminds me of an experiment where a group of scientists lived in an enclosed space with different ecosystems. To observe how their actions affected the environment and their health, the scientists collected data for two years. In the article "Biosphere 2 and biodiversity: lessons so far," scientists quickly learned that actions made directly impacted them. Below is a video about one scientist's experience.



References

Cohen, J. E., & Tilman, D. (1996). Biosphere 2 and biodiversity: the lessons so far. Science, 274(5290), 1150-1151.

"The True Cost." Directed by Andrew Morgan. 2015.

No comments: