Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1: Anti-Consumerism






https://mswin001.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/21/
Haley Bergman
Week 5
ASA 141



When we were first given this challenge, I was not too concerned since I only really buy necessities and do my heavy shopping at the end of the summer. So even though I planned to not struggle with this experiment, I did not fully understand the point of it. However, through the materials we have watched and read so far I have gained a better understanding of the anti-consumer movement and how we should be focusing on things like slow fashion instead of fast fashion. The documentary "The True Cost" showed me how consumerism is an all-consuming idea that material items which are often times temporary should be prioritized over the wellbeing of the environment or the workers who make the materials. Exposing this and showing how we can move away from this practice to something more sustainable I think is our duty as the next generation in charge of the well being of our planet. There are already so many designers, scientists, and entrepreneurs who have begun to pave the way for sustainable fashion with encouraging results. I am excited to continue to learn more through my own experiences and through materials we are given in class about this anti-consumerist movement and hopefully share what I learn with others outside of the course.

Work Cited:
Morgan, Andrew. The True Cost (2015).

No comments: