Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1 -Narayan


Pryanka Narayan
ASA 141
Week 5
            Prior to reading Santa’s Sweatshop article, I wasn’t aware of how immense the concept of the exploitation of humanity behind fast and trendy clothing is.  I briefly knew that the articles of clothing and objects that were sold in America were made in third party factories located in China or India but wasn’t aware of the working conditions. For example, by reading that article I learned huge companies such as Disney and Mattel toy company used people in third world countries for extraneous work. Many of these people were forced to work in cramped buildings that were surrounded by rats, chlorine drinking water, extraneous hours, yelled at to work faster, and forced to pay their employer if they did not finish a task.  According to the article Factory Exploitation and the Fast Fashion Machine, the concept of fast fashion puts many people at danger. The workers are demanded to finish large amounts of work at a very short time rate. They are securitized from going to the bathroom or getting a drink of water. There is also a lot of toxic masculinity within the workforce, as women make up the large majority. 80-95% of the workers in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka are women. Personally, I feel like I have naively contributed to the exploitation as I love buying fast fashion clothing, but after learning of how severe the problem behind fast fashion is, I know I need to change. With Summer approaching, and cute dresses, shorts, and skirts going on sale, I know it’s going to very hard to not want to indulge. I have informed by boyfriend and sister about this project to make sure I don’t fall back. I know this isn’t going to be easy, but financially and morally it will be a cleanse.
Citation
Factory Exploitation and the Fast Fashion Machine. (n.d.). Retrieved from
Santa's Sweatshop. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.saigon.com/nike/news/Us1.html




No comments: