Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1
Christian Funk

I love the idea of the be green challenge. I don't think it will be too challenging for myself however. I love clothing, I have a passion for fashion. I love clothing and I love adding new items to my wardrobe. I always want more, and I can identify this as a symptom of the sickness that is capitalism and consumerism in our fast-paced, every-changing world that is our reality. I'd love to add more, have this, have that, I want more, more, more, but I can also identify that even in my current state, I can say I already have too much. I don't need any more.
I already don't do much retail shopping for clothing. I love thrifting and I love being creative and customizing and repurposing to make my own unique piece. I used to like buying cheap, getting a good deal from retail shops and fast fashion stores such as H&M and others --but then I was exposed to the reality of it all. This wasn't my first time seeing True Cost. I watched it once previously for a class of mine during my first year at Davis. Seeing just how much it truly costs for that good deal we get from the store really changed the way I thought. Since then, I am anti-fast fashion. For me, it was the combination of the sweat-shop labor as well as the bulk of it all. So much is being demanded. The more that's demanded, the more that's thrown away. In this fast fashion world, clothing is seen as dispensible when in fact it is not. Fast fashion is not sustainable. When does it stop? I love True Cost and I hope more people see it and see what it truly cost for that good deal. It's peoples' lives as well as the planet that is at stake here. Something has to change before it is too late.

Works Cited:

Morgan, Andrew. "The True Cost" (2015)

No comments: