Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1

Sapana Gautam
ASA 141
Week 1

The "Be Green Challenge" is focused on the anti-consumer culture and the pro-green movement.  Growing up, my parents taught me the difference between "wanting" and "needing" when it comes to shopping for clothing and shoes.  They told me to prioritize the things I need before I buy anything I want.  I admire the goal of this challenge, and initially, because of how I was raised, I did not think this would be much of a challenge for me.  However, now that it is time to start the challenge, I am beginning to reevaluate the difficulty level of this.  I was planning on shopping this month, especially this week, but I guess I will have to make do with what I already have.

I do think the challenge we all face is worth it.  After watching True Cost in class, I realized how much is at stake when we shop.  We often do not think about it, but the more we shop, the more people in other countries suffer.  They are forced to labor through unfair pay and unsanitary working conditions while we bask in our luxuries.  I understand that, as a small class, our efforts won't make much of a difference, but it is one step closer to eliminating sweatshops and unfair working conditions.

 

References:
Morgan, Andrew. The True Cost (2015).

No comments: