Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1

Sidney Siu
Be Green Challenge
Blog 1

Image result for be green fast fashionFrom the first announcement regarding this movement, I was not put off by the challenge at all. I have always been more on the eco-friendly side compared to those around me, but I didn't have much knowledge as to how fashion was directly related to it. Of course, I was aware of the problems with consumerism, but I hadn't connected the topics learned in class until now.
Personally, I don't think I'll run into any issues or have a hard time with this challenge as it is only 5 weeks long and I don't shop that often to begin with. I usually just purchase necessities, but when I'm buying extra things, it's usually due to an upcoming event where I might have wanted something fresh. I do like to browse online, however, school work usually keeps me busy from doing so.
Watching True Cost in class really put more things into perspective for me. This documentary left me with a heavy heart as I was able to see with my own eyes just how terribly impacted other countries and people are/can be due to the fast fashion industry, in which I admit contribution to. It has made me rethink my shopping habits even more. As this challenge begins, I look forward to reflecting on the changes that I will experience and hope that it will further my "green" mindset.

No comments: