Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1 - Verduzco

Week/Blog: 1
ASA 141
Alejandra Verduzco

When we were first introduced to this Be Green Challenge I honestly thought this seemed so easy because I hardly ever go shopping and have no money to buy any food. However, now that this challenge has started I just realized that it is my father's birthday this weekend and I can't buy him a gift because I forgot to buy it in advance. But perhaps that's a good thing. My family always buys gifts for each other that often times is a waste of spending because it is unnecessary purchasing. I have never been one to like shopping, I never liked shopping at malls or high fashion outlets, I've always preferred goodwill, salvation army stores, yard sales, swap meets, basically anything cheap and used. Most of the clothes I have in my closet in the present day I've had either for years or are hand-me-downs from family. However, I will admit I am in need of summer clothing and I was originally planning to go to the U-Mall and buy something from Forever 21 since its one of the nearest stores. But after watching the documentary "True Cost" by Andrew Morgan it made me realize that even though I hardly shop there I don't want to think about even spending a dollar in fast fashion companies such as this one. The reason for this is because of the truth behind the prices of these clothing items. The only reason they are cheap because of the pay and conditions of the workers. The documentary showed the horrific event that took place in Bangladesh killing thousands of workers young and old, and yet many people are unaware and uneducated that their clothes are being made from the sacrifice and struggle of others.
So how is it that so many people are unaware of the poor conditions that workers are working in? This is because the companies don't want to admit that they are producing cheap clothes to their customers at the expense of others life and well being. They are doing it for their own selfish reason to gain more profit out of each item sold. In order for the companies to sell clothing so cheap, they need to lower the wages for the workers. In the Los Angeles Times article "What's Our Responsibility Towards Sweatshops" is an article with a surveyed conveyed to a variety of people who stated their opinion to the question What can be done about the proliferation of sweatshops? Many responded with the usual respond of not shopping at those stores anymore, but some actually said its to late to change the way things are now because a majority of the consumers will continue to shop no matter knowing the truth. After reading that, it got me thinking whether the public would be able to take on a challenge such as the one we are doing for class.  Along with how many people in the class will struggle with this challenge. I don't think this challenge will be very difficult for me as I stated but I am intrigued to read others experiences in the class will be like, and possible witness myself struggling with this challenge.

REFERENCES
"The True Cost." Directed By Andrew Morgan. 2015.

Heffernan, Mark."What's Out Responsibility Towards Sweatshops?" Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times Paper, 21 Jun. 2013, www.latimes/articles/responsiblity-towards-sweatshops/.com

No comments: