Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1: What is the Untrue Cost?

Week 1: Be Green Challenge
Grace Petersen

After having reviewed the readings from last week on the environmental impacts, and now seeing what the true cost of fast fashion means for workers in exploited conditions I am committed to engaging in this challenge. For me, this will not be much of a change from my normal habitus. I don't typically spend a lot of time or money shopping, and as a matter of fact I prefer to make my own for most things people buy- including clothes! The interesting thing however, is in what must be some psychological preparation for the coming 5 weeks I found myself madly going through Amazon and ordering little pieces for crafts I was preparing to do after midterms. Even though it isn't necessarily fashion, I still wonder at the impacts of my habits, especially through Amazon. Apparently according to an article from PHYS.ORG "85 percent of the clothing Americans consume, nearly 3.8 billion pounds annually, is sent to landfills as solid waste, amounting to nearly 80 pounds per American per year." and to me those statistics are entirely horrifying.
Green Living Series… Green Shopping! | Above All Things...
For the next few weeks, I will try to keep in mind the fates of those workers in rana plaza who worked under conditions they did to produce cheap fashion for consumers like me. Not only is it an issue of environment or style, but one of justice across the globe. 



Morgan, Andrew, director. The True Cost. Untold Creative, 2015. 

Schoenherr, Neil. "How fast fashion hurts environment, workers, society. PHYS.ORG January 10, 2019
https://phys.org/news/2019-01-fast-fashion-environment-workers-society.html


No comments: