Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1

Jacqueline Yee
Blog post #1
ASA 141

In America, there is this idea that having more is better. It creates a never-ending cycle of consumerism and accumulation of more and more objects though there might not be a need for them. I’ve linked a video below about materialism and excess consumption especially in American dual-income households. The first part talks about the clutter in the household with unnecessary items like toys and clothes. We often keep old things for nostalgia and memory. But we continue to add to the collection,

In part, this is because items have gotten cheaper-- companies have found ways to reduce production costs by outsourcing the work to other countries, and where factories have poor working conditions (U.S. News and World Report, 1996). In Santa’s Workshop companies like Guess, Disney and Mattel use factories where workers are paid with low wages, there are infestations and poor water quality in the factories (U.S. News and World Report, 1996). After reading the articles, and watching all the films, I was unaware of how bad fast fashion and materialism really was. It has really opened my eyes to what I am condoning with the way I spend my money. In addition, I have learned about our carbon footprint on the earth as a society, but it has always translated more in terms of food choices, diet, and food packaging. For example, it has always been easier for me to avoid eating meat, bringing my own straws and utensils and composting, but when it comes to clothes, it is always different.

As time progresses for the be green challenge, I know it will get more difficult to avoid buying items since summer is approaching. It will take a lot of self-control. But this will be a good exercise to be more aware and conscious is spending my money in more sustainable ways, and to avoid excess consumption.


References:
1.     U.S. News & World Report. (n.d.). Santa's Sweatshop. Retrieved April 28, 2019, from https://www.saigon.com/nike/news/Us1.html
2.     (UCTV), U. O. (2013, October 30). Retrieved April 28, 2019, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AhSNsBs2Y0


No comments: