Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 1 - Challenge

Elaine Yang
Blog 1
ASA 141

When I first heard about the Be Green Challenge, I thought it would be very difficult considering that I am an avid online shopper and Amazon enthusiast. I often find myself online shopping once or twice a week, bringing home products that I do not even use more than once. When I have free time, I also find myself mindlessly browsing through online clothing websites when my clothes fill up the entire walk-in closet. Online shopping has become a habit for me, and 28 days taking a break from my long-built habit will be a difficult task. However, as the midterm season is coming, I believe I will be less motivated to find time for online shopping or hitting Forever 21 often. I will tightly monitor my purchases and try to donate or trade the items that I no longer use.


(Image: A pile of left-over clothes being sold on a website) 

After learning about consumerism and the environmental, social effects of fast-disposable products in “Fast Fashion, Sustainability, and the Ethical Appeal of Luxury Brands”  as well as the Netflix film about workshop conditions in developing countries. It made me realize that cheap and convenient is only a temporary measure, there are devastating effects that will haunt us for years. Fast Fashion will not be sustainable with the current methods.  Finding long term sustainable alternatives would not only secure the number of resources, but it will also promote a healthier consumer lifestyle.


Annamma Joy. “Fast Fashion, Sustainability, and the Ethical Appeal of Luxury Brands.”

No comments: