Saturday, April 27, 2019

Week 1: Blog 1: Be Green

Franchesca Flores

Week 1: Blog 1

When we were introduced to the “Be Green” challenge I was kind of excited to be asked to not take part in consumerism. I really do enjoy shopping and getting new clothes, but recently my move to Davis away from the Bay Area has changed my habits of where I buy my clothes. Back home I never used to buy clothes at Forever 21 or from the mall. I usually found myself at Goodwill or Savers buying clothes that were literally one-of-a-kind. I enjoyed this way of shopping more because I noticed the material of the clothing was better, and nobody else could get one like it. Recently I have found myself in the Forever 21 at the U-Mall buying whatever I want because it was a “good price.” After watching the documentary, “The True Cost,” by Andrew Morgan, on Netflix, it’s sad that I was shocked about what was happening in other countries. I felt ashamed that I didn’t take a step back and ask myself, “Where are my clothes made?” Being exposed to the catastrophes of the fashion industry I want to take it upon myself to have the Be Green challenge be something that is a part of my life in the long run, even after it is over for the class. In the article “Fashion Brands and Consumers Approach Towards Sustainable Fashion,” by Asimananda Khandual and Swikurti Pradhan, one of their alternative methods to sustainability was up-cycling clothing. Since I recently learned how to sew and manipulate patterns, I want to put these skills to use and practice on some clothes I don’t necessarily wear anymore. I wanted to get some inspiration on what kind of clothes I can start to pick from, and I found a mom that has transformed clothes into the most beautiful pieces. On the website, MyModernNet, the article, “Crafty Mom…Transforms Old Clothing into Stylish Ensembles,” by Kelly Richman-Abdou, displays the up-cycled clothing made by Sarah Tayu for her and her family. A majority of the pieces she originally started with were oversized and big, so I figured I can start going through some winter jackets that I don’t wear anymore and conceptualize new designs for them. Here is a video from Sarah Tayu, that she made for anyone to try: 


Sources: 
Khandual, Asimananda  and Pradhan, Swikruti. "Fashion Brands and Consumers Approach Towards Sustainable Fashion." S. S. Muthu (ed.). 2019. 

Richman-Abdou, Kelly. "Crafty Mom...Transforms Old Clothing into Stylish Ensembles." MyModernMet. 2018 September 5. <https://mymodernmet.com/upcycled-clothing-sarah-tyau/>

Tayu, Sarah. "DIY: 7 Ways to Transform Old Men/Women's Shirts | Refashion." YouTube. 2017 August 25. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I772r3GggQc> 

"The True Cost." Directed by Andrew Morgan. 2015.

No comments: