Saturday, June 1, 2019

Final Week (Week 6)-Uyen

Weirdly enough, it was unbelievably easy to steer from participating in Fast Fashion this week. The article "Fast Fashion, Sustainability, and the Ethical Appeal of Luxury Brand" raises an important question: "How do today’s young consumers, so conscious of green values, balance their continual need for ever-newer fashion with their presumed commitment to environmental sustainability?" (273). I have found that this challenge is a good answer to that question. In a world where people are no longer using plastic straws and are trying to consume less meat for ethical and environmental reasons, it is important that we include sustainable fashion into something small that we could do that could make a big difference. The thing with Fast Fashion is that "Fast fashion chains typically earn higher profit margins—on average, a sizeable 16 percent" (276).
I have always thought that despite the unethical aspects of it, it made sense that fast fashion had to find a way to make their prices so affordable. However, knowing they have that wide of a margin of profit makes even that logic hard to justify. Because they charge enough to make that much of a profit, it is hard to understand why they can't make the margin smaller to make their treatment of workers more ethical. At that point, it comes down to them being greedy. Because I have learned about all this throughout this class, I get repulse at the mentioned of these fast fashion companies. I had asked my friend the other day where she got her dress and when she said "Forever 21", I found myself making a face and feel uneasy about it. While I doubt I will be able to never touch fast fashion, I now have found that at the end of this, I am able to be more conscious before I purchase.

Works Cited
Annamma Joy. “Fast Fashion, Sustainability, and the Ethical Appeal of Luxury Brands.”

No comments: