Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Week 6

Mahima Rupakula
913734418

Week 6: Be Green Challenge

Week 6 of the Be Green Challenge is complete! I think that this challenge was relatively easy to go through with because I never had much time to go shopping much anyways. I did consider buying a new jacket, as my friend took back the one I borrowed from her back. I know that I really was only successful with the Be Green Challenge because it was happening during an extremely busy quarter for me, because I would go online "window shopping" a lot. Meaning, I would look up clothing websites and just look at clothes that I wanted for fun. I think that this is actually a good strategy for curbing the constant need to go online shopping and the addictive consumerist mentality that our generation is starting to foster. The rapid reward cycle of buying things online is probably what drives this consumerist factor forward. This challenge did teach me how to look for smaller brands that don't thrive off of fast fashion trends. One example is a brand I'm currently obsessed with, called Indya, which re-purposes Indian outfits into more modern fashion trends. I think that I might consider getting items from these smaller brands instead of feeding into fast fashion trends more often. 

References:

1. “Online Shopping Addiction.” Michael's House Treatment Centers, 31 May 2018, www.michaelshouse.com/blog/online-shopping-addiction/.

2. "The True Cost." Morgan, Andrew. The True Cost = Der Wahre Preis Der Mode.

No comments: