Sunday, June 2, 2019

Week 6

Entry # 6
Reanna Lao

The last week of the be green challenge flew by very quickly. This week I only made one purchase besides food and that was on a new set of mason jar lid/straws. Reflecting on these last few weeks,  I am glad that this class pushed me to become more aware of my consumption habits. Though I do not make many retail purchases, I was shocked to learn about how much takeout boxes and utensils I would accumulate throughout the week. Overall, this challenge has made me more cautious about my surroundings and how easy it is to produce waste. Moving forward, I will keep in mind the lessons learned from this challenge. I am also looking forward to seeing how I will react to the many temptations during my vacation abroad this summer.

Image result for ball sip and straw lids
The idea of control seems to be related to this challenge and to this weeks reading. In Re-Orienting Fashion Theory by Sandra Niessen, the author talks about how nations try to exercise control in the way other nations view each other. It seems that fashion these days is more standardized and geared towards changing views of social status than of personal identity.

Sandra Niessen. "Afterword: Re-Orienting Fashion Theory."

No comments: