Sunday, June 2, 2019

Week 6 of Be Green Challenge


Image result for fashion across cultures

Blog 6
Magnolia Garcia
        I truly am amazed at how quickly this quarter and this challenge flew by. It really does take five weeks to establish a habit. Six weeks ago, I was worried that I would quickly give in and break the challenge out of temptation. I remember that the very first night Blog 1 was due, I had walked into Forever 21 with my housemate and successfully avoided from succumbing to purchasing anything. We had just watched True Cost in class, and that documentary was more than enough to change my outlook on the store and fast fashion. As this challenge has progressed, I’ve only grown more and more aware of my surroundings while in stores; I notice the quality of items, pay attention to its byproducts and determine whether or not purchasing such an item would result in a positive or negative [longterm] consequence.
        I must admit, my own idea of fashion has changed a bit, too, over the course of this challenge. The course, in general, has been an influence, as a matter of fact. So, to have read Re-Orienting Fashion Theory this week and coming across quotes which read, “Fashion does not exist in tribal and classless societies,” “. . . fashion is scarcely to be found in . . .” is upsetting (Niessen). At the very least, if there’s anything I learned this quarter, it’s that fashion is limitless; there are so many dimensions to fashion. Given this, it’s important be be knowledgeable on the subject. There are endless ways to describe fashion, and one of the simplest and purest forms I’ve come across reads as follows: “The point of fashion is to protect you. But that can mean different things. Most basically, fashion exists to cover you; the ‘protection’ can change depending on who you are and where you are.” (Medine) While there is plenty more to the idea of fashion, I appreciate how sincere and inclusive this description is.
        With the challenge coming to an end, I would just like to add that I am appreciative of having taken part in it. Moving forward, I will try to be more mindful every day. Lastly, I will make constant efforts to further develop and improve the habits I have picked up along the way, whether that be knowing the difference between a need and a want or even setting monthly budgets for myself. I simply cannot let go of all that this course has done for me.


Medine, Leandra. “What's the Meaning of Fashion? I Asked 12 Industry Veterans.” Man Repeller, 7            Feb. 2018, www.manrepeller.com/2018/02/meaning-of-fashion.html.

Sandra Niessen. “Afterword: Re-Orienting Fashion Theory.” 

No comments: