Monday, June 3, 2019

Week6: Back to Basics (Valverde)


The Begreen Challenge has reminded me the joy of upcycling through crafting. For instance, in the last few weeks, I have been learning the art of mending and stitching sashiko style. I am taking torn jeans from family members and giving them beauty, style, and character. I also resumed my old hobby of beading. In both stitching and beading, I discovered that it's my form of meditation. I also knit/crochet, fly kites, and aquascape. With all these hobbies, they require a fair amount of skill and concentration, as well as constant movement. Combined, these practices calms my active mind. So, even though I cannot meditate the conventional way, I definitely find quiet and peace with my hobbies.

Also, in the all of these hobbies, I'm able to create and share. It forces me to be outside (or indoors) with people and connect on a real human level and let our creative juices flow. Lastly, as it connects to our class, I am able to reuse the things I mend or knit. It's good to enjoy being sustainable.

No comments: