Sunday, June 2, 2019

Week 6 | Go Green Challenge

Rida Riaz
ASA 141
Week 6



This challenge has officially come to an end and I have been surprised of my efforts thus far as I hadn't purchased anything up until now. This week, I had a few cosmetic essentials that I had ran out of and decided to go and purchase only what I needed; however, my weakness got the best of me and I ended up buying a couple more products I definitely didn't need. Also, as I'm going on a vacation, I saw a dress that I've been wanting for a while online which was on sale and bit the bullet and purchased the item. Not gonna lie, I felt incredibly guilty of my recent purchases this week as money adds up even though we tend to buy inexpensive items.

This challenge has taught me a lot about buying when you're not feeling your best or during stressful situations. In fact, this month I was put into many stressful events, however, I didn't have the need to go shopping and impulse shop and decided to just divert my mind onto other things that made me happy like hanging out with family and friends. Not spending a lot this previous month allowed me to focus on putting that money into better use like into savings and other important investments.


Moreover, I felt good that I didn't partake in the mass consumer consumption as much as I did previously. Knowing facts about fast fashion and the production nightmare behind it had always left me weary whenever I shopped from Zara or H&M. I'll probably continue to shop from these places; however, my goal is to incorporate lots of sustainable brands into my wardrobe until I get to a place where I completely disregard fast fashion brands and include only sustainable pieces. Ethical fashion production is also another huge concern of mine and every time I purchase an item from H&M, I see that "Made in Bangladesh" tag and instantly, there's this sense of guilt and hopelessness rushing through my body. This class and challenge has taught me so much about spending, fast fashion, ethical/sustainable fashion and the importance of culture that I will take all these layers of knowledge with me throughout my lifetime and put these teachings into practice.

As I was searching for sustainable fashion brands, I came across a brand called Purple Impressions which is founded by a Pakistani-American woman, Drakshan Khan. This brand emphasizes sustainability through culture and ethics by "spreading values and ideas that the clothing pieces represent." This company makes everything hand crafted by working women in Pakistan by providing employment and benefits to these workers; moreover, something that really stood out to me was how each and every garment made is signed by the woman who made it adding to the garment's sentimental and cultural value. We need more brands and people who strive to make the clothes which embodies another to carry ethical and cultural values while giving back to the community and its people.

Purple Impressions 

Purple Impressions 

Purple Impressions 

Works Cited

Blogpost on Purple Impressions | https://www.linkouture.com/sustainable-artisan-clothing-brand-purple-impression/ 

Joy, Annamma, et al. “Fast Fashion, Sustainability, and the Ethical Appeal of Luxury Brands.” Fashion Theory, vol. 16, no. 3, 2012, pp. 273–295. doi:10.2752/175174112x13340749707123.

No comments: