Monday, June 3, 2019

Week 6

Isabelle Perlada
ASA141
6/3/19

Going into this last week of the Be Green challenge, I can't say that my habits have really changed too much. Even though I have not purchased clothing and other items on impulse like I usually do, I have turned more towards spending my money on food all the time. A number of factors contributed to this, and it was mostly unavoidable this whole quarter. Even though the purpose of the purchases are different, the spending still felt the same as buying things off of Amazon, as food is a necessity but does not last. I also found myself spending a lot of money on boba out of craving, which is not a necessity. Thus, I really do feel like consumables like food and snacks was the loophole I really exploited in this challenge, which led me to not be able to break my spending habits at all. I did learn to think a little more deeply about where my clothes come from and whose expense they might come at, but I don't know if I can say I would continue to buy solely from sustainable brands because as a student, they are just completely out of my price range. I would hope that one day, there would be a solution that is sustainable and affordable other than second-hand purchases. I found this article that may be a good starting point.

https://www.thehonestconsumer.com/blog/ethical-clothing-brands-college-students-can-afford

No comments: