Sunday, June 2, 2019

Week 6


Image result for calvin klein dress

Week 6
Fara Suiza
ASA141
June 2, 2019

Today, I went to the mall with my mom and I bought myself a graduation dress. However, taking into what I've learned in this class, I began to shop more consciously, but still not as perfectly or ethically as I would've wanted. I feel like that's hard to do 100% in full, but when my mom suggested we enter and shop at the Forever 21 and/or H&M, I declined, opting to buy something at Dillards.

Dillards is a department store than I would consider more on the high-end side of the price spectrum. It's affordable, but when shopping, one should be aware that rarely are things inside below $100. Even the more simplest white dress I could find was around $160 on average.

I settled on two dresses, one from Calvin Klein and the other from a designer I didn't recognize. CK isn't known for being as ethical as they could be, but I do like the quality of their clothes. In general, I see these 2 dresses lasting a very long time and they can be used for other events in the future. This reminds me of the reading "When the original is beyond reach: consumer perception and demand for counterfeit luxury goods in Germany and South Korea" when it mentioned how Germans preferred to buy authentic, high-quality luxury goods because they perceive it to be of higher quality (i.e. it'll last longer than counterfeit), and that is how I view and justify buying at Dillards > Forever 21 or H&M despite similarities in their ethics.

Calvin Klein's rating as a brand: D
https://rankabrand.org/premium-brands/Calvin+Klein


CITE
S. Behrens, C. Klarmann, K. Wiedmannn, "When the original is beyond reach: consumer perception and demand for counterfeit luxury goods in Germany and South Korea".

No comments: