Sunday, June 2, 2019

Week 6: Be Green Challenge

Sidney Siu
ASA 141
Blog 6

As we close the 2019 Be Green Challenge, I feel both accomplished and humbled. By cutting out any extra purchasing for 6 weeks straight, my eyes were opened to all of my shopping urges. I didn’t shop often to begin with-- and I still don’t-- but I did notice when I would have to refrain myself from buying little things. Most of my purchases went towards a lot of food, which I feel like is justifiable as long as you don’t waste it. Though, there is still a problem with this, as it contributes to food-packaging garbage. I always try to recycle what I can, but this challenge made me even more passionate about trying to do my part in protecting the environment. Overall, this challenge was not hard, yet still very significant to me. Furthermore, I will try my best to live my life as if I am still participating in the Be Green Challenge. This means living minimally, but still allowing myself to treat myself once in a while, such as buying makeup.

Image result for wasted textiles running dyeBecause my exhibit project revolved mainly around sustainability, my eyes were opened widely about the amount of wasted textiles and the ways they pollute the earth. Some of my inspirations for the theme of my project actually came from one of the clips in True Costs along with an image that I selected for one of the other blogs from this class, It had never occurred to me how these dumped fabrics can pollute the water around the world because of the running dyes, however, my knowledge of it will forever be engrained in me and I will continue to relay the lasting effects the fast-fashion industry.

No comments: