Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Week 6: Be Green - Shang Her

Shang Her
Be Green
Blog #6

I began collecting my trash as I accumulate them. I started Monday 5/27 through 6/3. The first few things that I notice I was throwing out often was food scraps and wrapping. I began to notice that almost everything that I used was plastic or covered with plastic. I ate ramen noodle and it came in a plastic bag with the seasoning in plastic packaging. I notice my diet as well. I often ate out which means I created more waste such as, plastic food wrapping, paper cup, plastic cup cover, napkins, and paper bags. Each time I collected a piece of trash, I would feel guilty that I created more trash. For each ice cream, I ate through away a plastic wrapping and a popsicle stick. Every night, as I do my skincare routine, I use a cotton pad and cotton swab. Each time that I kept throwing away waste, I wonder how can I reduce my amount as I strive towards sustainability.   


As I was thinking of why to be more sustainable, I came across this video by Refinery 29. In this video, Lexy Lebsack looked into the beauty industry and how plastic keeps getting washed up on beach shores. In the video, Lebsack went to Herbal Essences' factory and interview one of the workers there. The Herbal Essences shampoo bottle claims to be made from reusable plastic and beach friendly but in the interview, the worker said the bottles are only made from 25% reused plastic. Like many other industries out there, plastic is bought by sellers and revolves around money. The most bought and recycles plastic is white or clear so most colored plastic said it can be recycled but most of the time it is not. This video has changed the way I view plastic and how I will continue to shop in the figure. I hope to purchase less plastic and if I do so, I'll be more cautious about only purchasing plastic that is white or clear. 







No comments: