Sunday, June 2, 2019

Week 6: Franchesca Flores

Week 6: Blog 6
ASA 141
Franchesca Flores

Personal photo of my altar

The last week of the Be Green Challenge and this week I had no time for materialism and capitalism because my mind has been focused on finals week. Although, the only shopping I did partake in was going to the Crystal Shop in Vacaville. I bought an abalone shell to use when burning my sage and to add to my altar. I wouldn’t consider this too much of a materialistic item, although I do personally enjoy adding elements to my altar, this is also a part of my ways of healing and meditating. When it comes to purchasing items for my altar I like to do personal research from what culture it originates from or is used in. A lot of my pieces retain to Aztec culture, but similar to the article read in class called, “Reorienting Fashion Theory,” by Sandra Niessen, Asian culture has a big role in spirituality and they don’t only have to be objects, but the fabrics and textiles play a big component in the altar. Niessen was referring to traditional/folk pieces and garments being “anti-fashion” but it doesn’t necessarily have to be a fashion statement, it can also play a part in spiritual practices and displays like an altar. 
I use my serape, which can also be used as a dress, skirt or shirt in Mexico as the base of my altar. I use this as my foundation and protection for my pieces on my altar. With this, the question I want to pose is if traditional garments are meant to wear do they still hold their meaning when used for other uses like an altar? Does this make it more meaningful?

Works Cited:

“Mexican Serape Blanket | History.” Mexpro, 31 July 2017, www.mexpro.com/blog/mexican-serape-blanket.

Niessen, Sandra. "Afterword: Re-Orienting Fashion Theory."




No comments: