Thursday, May 9, 2019

Week 3

Annika R. Uyenco
Blog 3
ASA 141

To be honest, there are times when I forget I'm on this challenge during the week. However, I am proud to say that I haven't bought any unnecessary material items this week. Not that I had the chance to since I had two midterms this week so going shopping was out of the question. I did go to Target on Thursday and I was a bit tempted when it came to the beauty and cosmetics section but thankfully I had enough discipline and self-control.

In terms of the week's theme, ownership of culture, I never stopped and realized how much of an influence Asia has had on American culture and lifestyle. The influence has been here for so long that sometimes I forget it's a mix of different cultures. In chapter 3, "Cultural Economy of Asian Chic," it says, "Emerging in the United States alongside an expansion of the popular interest in all things Asian—from yoga and feng shui to Hong Kong  cinema  and  Japanese  anime." This however is not appropriation because people are aware of their origins. Also, both Asia and America benefit from sharing these entertainment forms.

However, I have recalled times when I have seen appropriated items, especially during Halloween. Teens and young adults shop a lot during this time for costumes and accessories. Over the past few years, some costumes have been under fire for not only appropriation but also the sexualization of a traditional or national dress. With the media getting involved, a lot more people are aware of the decisions they should make when considering what outfits to wear, not just for Halloween but for everyday wear.

To tie it in with the Be Green Challenge, a study done in 2017 showed that "...consumers are expected to spend $9.1 billion for Halloween this year, up from $8.4 billion in 2016." (Leasca, 2017) After one night, many costumes and decorations will unfortunately go to waste instead of being kept for the next Halloween or properly disposed.

Image result for sexualized halloween costumes offensive
https://www.bustle.com/p/what-makes-a-halloween-costume-culturally-appropriative-heres-a-practical-guide-2793111

Sources:

Nguyen, Thuy Linh "The Cultural Economy of Asian Chic" 

Leasca, Stacey. “Here's The Very Scary Amount Of Money Americans Spend On Halloween.”
Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 30 Oct. 2017, www.forbes.com/sites/sleasca/2017/10/30/halloween-spending-halloween-candy/#1ff6683c20a1.

No comments: