Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Week 5: Zoe Martin


Be Green Challenge
Week 5
Zoe Martin

Preparing for Study Abroad

As the quarter is coming to and end and summer vastly approaches, I am beginning to get ready for my Summer Abroad program, Global Fashion in China. This challenge has made me a lot more conscious not just about my consumerism, but also my lifestyle choices. I hope to carry this awareness with me throughout the summer and for the rest of my life. I have been curious about how I can utilize this new awareness in my travelling abroad.

I found a list of eco-friendly travel products, and wanted to see if I would be able to find anything useful when I travel to China. One thing that stuck out to me was solid toiletries (products that lack plastic containers); ie. soap bars, shampoo bars, etc. I think that this is a great idea--not only are the products better for the environment by creating less waste, but they are also compact and easier to travel with than plastic bottles! I definitely intend on purchasing a shampoo bar from Lush before I leave. They have up to 80 washes within a bar!

A shampoo bar from Lush

In relation to the reading, as I go to Asia I hope to explore traditional Chinese textiles, and I hope to be able to experience and purchase them in a manner that respects these traditions and ethically supports the people who make them. I am so excited to see these things first-hand! “Speaking through Cloth” taught me that a lot can be told about a culture through its textiles. Although the article spoke specifically about Hmong textile art, I am sure I will be able to draw my own parallels once I am there.

Aside from thinking about what to buy for my trip, I really haven’t purchased anything else at all. I think this was a very successful week of the challenge!


References:
“Speaking through Cloth: Teaching Hmong History and Culture Through Textile Art” by Ava McCall

No comments: