Sunday, May 26, 2019

Week 5- Sapana Gautam

Sapana Gautam
Be Green Challenge
Week 5

Another week of this challenge went by, and I am proud to say that following an anti-consumerism lifestyle has become much easier.  At the beginning of this challenge, I constantly found myself wanting to shop, even if I did not follow through with my purchases.  However, as the weeks went by, I steered away from the useless visits to various stores and the constant browsing of online shopping sites.  However, one part of this challenge was unclear to me.  Are we allowed to shop for makeup products?  When it comes to clothes, we have the alternative option of thrift shopping, but you cannot do so with makeup products.  I recently needed to attend an event that called for a little dressing up.  I ran out of eyeliner and concealer a while ago and I broke one of my makeup brushes, so I needed to buy some more.  I did buy two eyeliners (liquid and pencil) and a makeup brush, but I was unable to buy a concealer because I could not find one that suited both my skin color and my skin type.  This reminded me of this week's reading "Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women's Magazine Advertisements" which talked about how Western models are used more often than Asian models.  A lot of products in the makeup industry are not curated with people of color in mind, so it is harder for darker people to find products that match their skin tone.  Fortunately, more and more companies have released (or have announced their release of) foundation ranges featuring 40 shades.  Why?  Because of "The Fenty Effect".  That is, Rihanna launched a makeup line Fenty Beauty with the Pro Filt'r Foundation in 40 shades, and many big brands have been scrambling to match her.  Why did it take so long for this to happen?  Why weren't these big brands inclusive enough from the start?



References:

Katherine Toland Frith. "Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women's Magazine Advertisements"

Cheryl Wischhover. "The Fenty Effect Means Everyone Offers 40 Foundation Shades Now" https://www.racked.com/2018/5/30/17409524/fenty-effect-foundation-40-shades

No comments: