Sunday, May 12, 2019

Week 3: Franchesca Flores

Week 3: Blog 3
ASA 141
Franchesca Flores

Photo from DiscoverCenteralMassachusetts, "Mother's Day Dinner"

This challenge is always in the back of my head when I see something I want by the five million advertisements I get hit with on Instagram and Facebook. “Sale! Sale! Sale!” It’s crazy how our smartphones will show us an advertisement by listening to our conversations, kind of creepy. But I was more than proud of myself this week, I didn’t even buy my mom a Mother’s Day gift! And I say that with pride, because I’m a design student and I am more than capable of making a greetings card on Adobe Illustrator, rather than buying one at the store, and instead of buying some materialistic item, my sibling and I went to go take pictures of ourselves to give to our mom (this is something she’s been wanting) that I was then further able to edit myself on Adobe Photoshop. I mean the only thing that I did have to buy is the print, but it was for a good reason. When making these prints at Kinko’s I couldn’t help but notice all of the Mother’s Day gifts and the different versions there was, it reminded me of the “Material Mao,” article where there was a key concept, but different versions and takes on it. I was curious to see how much money was made on Mother’s Day this year, so I decided to look it up. In the article, “Americans will spend $25 billion…this year,” by Annabelle Timsit, introduces the founder of Mother’s Day, Anna Jarvis, where she wanted to honor her mother’s work ethic and strength, but soon after it became an American holiday, she wanted to rebel against it. Jarvis was disappointed in Mother’s Day was not being about hardworking mother’s, but being commercialized with florals, candies, and greeting cards. Today, Americans have spent $25 million on Mother’s Day gift, three billion more than they did last year in 2018. I can see the aggravation from Jarvis because nowadays it feels like people worship their mother one day, but is something that is possible every day. 

Tu Linh Nguyen, Thuy. "Material Mao"
Tinsit, Annabelle. “Americans will spend $25 billion…this year.” Quartz. 2019 11 May. 

No comments: