Sunday, May 26, 2019

Week 5: Jacqueline Yee

Jacqueline Yee
ASA 141
Week 5


It is week 5 of the Be Green Challenge. I am actually surprised that I held out for this long without shopping for any clothes or material items. It has been weird not browsing online or going shopping, and my closet looks a little empty. This challenge has been good for my wallet so far because I am an impulse buyer. Sometimes I don’t think much before purchasing, but through this challenge, I have learned to think about where and who I am spending my money on.

This week’s reading was about the portrayal of Western and Asian models in advertisements and marketing. Frith, Cheng, and Shaw found that Western women and Asian women were often portrayed differently. These advertisements are geared toward specific target groups they want to sell their products to. I found TED talk by Jean Kilbourne where she gives an additional perspective on how women are portrayed in advertising. Kilbourne talks about the obsession with being thin and looking younger, and about how as consumers we can try to avoid advertisements and fight consumerism, but they will always find a way to influence us. I’ve linked the video below, and I think what she says is very true. Throughout this challenge, I have avoided buying clothes and material items, but I have still seen advertisements, so I know what products are new or what is trendy.

Works cited:
1. Frith, K.T., Cheng, H., & Shaw, P. (2004), Race and Beauty: A Comparison of Asian and Western Models in Women’s Magazine Advertisements


No comments: